We were recently selected as Arkansas Business of the Year in a night that was equally euphoric as it was humbling. When I consider how fortunate we were to even make the cut as one of the five finalists, I naturally look at the efforts of our staff, and the loyalty of our clients. Both combine to allow us to provide high energy, creative solutions in a enthusiastic way.
As I explore further the reasons for our success, I cannot ignore the role technology has played along the way. Throughout our 44 year history, we’ve tried to walk fine line between being on the “leading edge” of technology, without crossing over into the “bleeding edge”. And during 2009, we made the leap into the realm that is called Social Media.
Is it fair say that Twitter had a role in our selection as Business of the Year? Consider this, over the past 9 months, Social Media in general, and Twitter specifically, has:
- Made our company more accountable and responsive. (The world is listening.)
- Made me a better spokesperson. ( LRTweetup is chock full of communicators, PR types, marketers, and more. All are incredibly smart, and giving. I have learned much from all of them.)
- Greatly increased our brand. (For 42 years we’ve been known as Custom Printing Company. Yet, to our Social Media crowd, the only name they recognize is CustomXM.)
- Increased my vocabulary. (think: Words with Friends)
- Improved my writing skills. (140 character limit makes one be succinct.)
- Totally reinvented my thoughts about business lunches. (Free Valet Parking!)
- Improved my listening skills. (Some might call it voyeurism, but the audience IS talking. We must listen.)
- Taught me how to Engage, Interact, and React.
- Created some incredible relationships.
And that final point is the key to any organizations’ success. The relationships. Our relationships with our staff, our clients, and our friends make us better as individuals, and as a company.
So on behalf of social media, we humbly accept this award.
How has Social Media improved your company? Please share your success with us.